Welcome to Y5B
It is mine and Mrs O`Connell`s pleasure to be teaching your children this year. We are sure we will all have fantastic, fun, productive year!
In Literacy this term, we will be studying many types of genres of writing. These include: Poetry and Narrative. We will also be taking part in debating sessions every week on a Friday morning, which I`m sure all of the children will enjoy thoroughly! Myself and Mr Stinchcomb will both be teaching the children Literacy this year.
In terms of homework, myself and Mr Stichcomb will be giving the children spellings which will to be set on a Tuesday and consist of revision of Year 5/6 spellings that your children should be able to read/spell and understand by the end of KS2. We will continue to include spellings from the spelling unit covered for that particular week. The children will be asked to place them into sentences, whilst also reinforcing other aspects of writing that we have covered within our Literacy lessons.
We will work in our Numeracy groups with Myself and Mr Stinchcomb this year. Lessons this term will include:
- Compare and order fractions whose denominators are all multiples of the same number
- Identify, name and write equivalent fractions of a given fraction,
- Recognise mixed numbers and improper fractions and convert from one form to another
- Add and subtract fractions with the same denominator and denominators that are multiples of the same number.
- Estimate and compare acute, obtuse and reflex angles,
- Draw a given angle, and measure them in degrees.
- Name 3-D shapes and describe their properties such as number and shape of the faces and number of edges and vertices
- Name and describe regular and irregular polygons. Shapes include triangles, quadrilaterals, pentagons, hexagons, heptagons and octagons.
- Identify, describe and represent the position of a shape following a reflection or translation.
- Complete, read and interpret information in tables, including timetables
The children will continue to revise written methods of addition and subtraction involving larger numbers and decimals. They will also strengthen short and long multiplication skills and short division methods
In our mental starters they will revise:
- Times tables
- Number bonds
- Simple mental addition of larger numbers
- Doubling whole numbers and decimals
- Halving numbers
- Simple subtraction
- Place value of numbers up to seven digits.
Homework will be set on a Tuesday and is to be returned on a Friday, so please be ready to assist your child if needed. If you feel it would help, please come and speak to myself in regards to the methods we use in our school policies if your not 100% sure.
This term we will be learning about Earth and Space, a fantastic topic which all of the children always enjoy thoroughly!
Topics covered in R.E this term will be:
For History this half term we will be looking at Ancient civilisations, as well as an extended history topic concerning The Beatles, which will address culture in the 20th Century. This will literally be a topic which is close to home.
This term we have the pleasure of the LSSP coach – Glen who taught your children last year, as well as myself. We will be completing Basketball and FUNS this half term, then Outdoor activites will replace Basketball after half term break. P.E. will take place on a Monday and Wednesday, so please make sure your child brings in their full school P.E. kit. The usual P.E. clubs which take place at dinner time will be running again this year. We are also lucky enough to have two new P.E. coaches to support us this year with our P.E. after school clubs.
Any future news will be placed onto our class page as soon as it`s relevant and available.
Additionally, you will be able to see our wonderful work by following our class Twitter page: @MrByattY5
Mr Byatt Mrs O`Connell