Welcome to Y5B
It is mine and Mrs Butterworth`s pleasure to once again be teaching your children. We are so happy. We are sure we will all continue to have a fantastic, fun and productive year!
In Literacy this term, we will be studying many types of genres of writing. These include: Film Narrative, Dramatic conventions and Persuasive arguments. Remember, this year we will be using the Pobble website to show off your child`s work, so please be sure to log on and appreciate how amazing they are.
Spellings will continue to be set on a Tuesday and consist of revision of Year 5/6 spellings that your children should be able to read/spell and understand by the end of KS2. We will continue to include spellings from the spelling unit covered for that particular week. The children will be asked to place them into sentences, whilst also reinforcing other aspects of writing that we have covered within our Literacy lessons.
We will continue with our hard work in our Numeracy lessons this term including:
- Compare and order fractions whose denominators are all multiples of the same number
- Identify, name and write equivalent fractions of a given fraction,
- Recognise mixed numbers and improper fractions and convert from one form to another
- Add and subtract fractions with the same denominator and denominators that are multiples of the same number.
- Estimate and compare acute, obtuse and reflex angles,
- Draw a given angle, and measure them in degrees.
- Name 3-D shapes and describe their properties such as number and shape of the faces and number of edges and vertices
- Name and describe regular and irregular polygons. Shapes include triangles, quadrilaterals, pentagons, hexagons, heptagons and octagons.
- Identify, describe and represent the position of a shape following a reflection or translation.
- Complete, read and interpret information in tables, including timetables
The children will continue to revise written methods of addition and subtraction involving larger numbers and decimals. They will also strengthen short and long multiplication skills and short division methods
In our mental starters they will revise:
- Times tables
- Number bonds
- Simple mental addition of larger numbers
- Doubling whole numbers and decimals
- Halving numbers
- Simple subtraction
- Place value of numbers up to six digits.
Homework will be set on a Tuesday and is to be returned on a Friday, so please be ready to assist your child if needed. If you feel it would help, please come and speak to myself in regards to the methods we use in our school policies if your not 100% sure.
This term we will be investigating the topic Living Things and their habitat. We will be learning about the differences in the life cycles of a mammal, an amphibian, an insect and a bird, as well as describing the life process of reproduction in some plants and animals.
Topics covered in R.E this term will be:
Pentecost – Transformation
Reconciliation – Freedom and responsibility
Universal Church – Stewardship
This half term we have the pleasure of the expertise of a Gymnastics coach through the LSSP, so please make sure your child brings in their full school P.E. kit also on a Monday. The usual P.E. clubs which take place at dinner time will be running again this year. We are also lucky enough to have a new P.E. coach to support us this year with our P.E. lessons as well as help out with clubs!
Design and Technology
Money raised in our 2p coin collection Laying out our coins
Science experiment Number Day
Countdown game – Year 4
Any future news will be placed onto our class page as soon as it`s relevant and available
Mr Byatt Mrs Butterworth