Welcome to Y5B
It is mine and Mrs O`Connell`s pleasure to continue teaching your children for the rest of this year. We are sure we will all continue to have fantastic, fun!
In Literacy this half term, we will be studying `Wishing Tales`. We will also reinforcing work previously covered earlier on in the year. We will also be taking part in debating sessions every week on a Friday morning, which I`m sure all of the children will enjoy thoroughly! Myself and Mr Stinchcomb will both be teaching your children Literacy this year.
In terms of homework, myself and Mr Stichcomb will be giving the children spellings which will be set every day and consist of revision of Year 5/6 spellings that your children should be able to read/spell and understand by the end of KS2. The children will be asked to practise placing them into sentences, gaining an understanding of both the spelling of each word, but also more importantly, the meaning.
We will continue to work in our Numeracy groups with Myself and Miss Morgan until the end of this year. Lessons this term will include:
- Compare and order fractions whose denominators are all multiples of the same number
- Identify, name and write equivalent fractions of a given fraction,
- Recognise mixed numbers and improper fractions and convert from one form to another
- Add and subtract fractions with the same denominator and denominators that are multiples of the same number.
- Estimate and compare acute, obtuse and reflex angles,
- Draw a given angle, and measure them in degrees.
- Name 3-D shapes and describe their properties such as number and shape of the faces and number of edges and vertices
- Name and describe regular and irregular polygons. Shapes include triangles, quadrilaterals, pentagons, hexagons, heptagons and octagons.
- Identify, describe and represent the position of a shape following a reflection or translation.
- Complete, read and interpret information in tables, including timetables
The children will continue to revise written methods of addition and subtraction involving larger numbers and decimals. They will also strengthen short and long multiplication skills and short division methods
In our mental starters they will revise:
- Times tables
- Number bonds
- Simple mental addition of larger numbers
- Doubling whole numbers and decimals
- Halving numbers
- Simple subtraction
- Place value of numbers up to seven digits.
Homework will be set on a Thursday and is to be returned on a Monday, so please be ready to assist your child if needed. If you feel it would help, please come and speak to myself in regards to the methods we use in our school policies if your not 100% sure.
This half term, we will be learning more about particle theory, in which the children will watch teacher led demonstrations as well as completing their own experiments linked to this topic.
Topics covered in R.E this term will be:
Inter-relating, as well as learning about another faith – Islam.
This half term, we will be continuing to learn about `The Americas.` We will be discovering all about the various countries that make up this vast amount of land and all of their geographical features. Feel free to research any of these countries at home and keep looking at/learning all about that world map! We will also complete fieldwork, completing map work.
This half term, the children will continue to have our LSSP coach led lesson, which will take place on a Monday. The children will be completing net/wall games. Some of our children will have the opportunity to compete in the LDCSA competition, which takes place on both the 12th and 14th of June. We will also continue to take the children swimming on a Thursday, so please be sure to provide full P.E. /swimming kits for these important sporting activities.
Any future news will be placed onto our class page and included in our `Learning Journey` as soon as it`s relevant and available.
Additionally, you will be able to see examples of our wonderful work by following our class Twitter page: @MrByattY5
Mr Byatt Mrs O`Connell