What is a School of Sanctuary?
A School of Sanctuary is a school that is committed to being a safe and welcoming place for those seeking sanctuary. This could be people whose lives were in danger in their own country, who have troubles at home or are just looking for a space of safety.
A School of Sanctuary is a school that helps its students, staff and wider community understand what it means to be seeking sanctuary and to extend a welcome to everyone as equal, valued members of the school community. It is a school that is proud to be a place of safety and inclusion for all.
In St Ambrose Catholic Primary School we aim to:
- Create a sense of safety and inclusion for all
- Develop understanding of what it means to seek sanctuary. Dispel negative myths
- Provide learning opportunities around human rights, social justice, diversity and interdependence
- Strengthen race equality and community cohesion work
- Increase student voice and promote active citizenship
More info: www.schools.cityofsanctuary.org
On the 18th of November 2015 we received
our School of Sanctuary Award!