At St. Ambrose, our pupils learn to read and write effectively and quickly using the Read Write Inc. Phonics programme. Children work on the programme until they have a secure understanding of phonics, which they are able to apply to their reading and writing.
Read Write Inc. Phonics
The programme is for:
- Pupils in Reception to Year 2 who are learning to read and write.
- Any pupils in Years 2, 3 and 4 who need to catch up rapidly
In Read Write Inc. Phonics pupils:
- Decode letter-sound correspondences quickly and effortlessly, using their phonic knowledge and skills
- Read common exception words on sight
- Understand what they read
- Read aloud with fluency and expression
- Write confidently, with a strong focus on vocabulary and grammar
- Spell quickly and easily by segmenting the sounds in words
- Acquire good handwriting.
In addition to this, all pupils in school take part in a weekly guided reading session. Once children have completed Read Write Inc., they take part in daily whole class reading sessions. These sessions allow children to apply their decoding skills to a range of texts, but also develop their comprehension skills. Each day a different question domain is the focus, which can be found below: